So it’s almost time for one of my favorite events of the year. The 2015 Monsters of Rock Cruise sets sail on April 18 out of Miami Florida. This will be my third time on the cruise and the lineup this year looks better than ever. With that being said I thought it would be fun to take a look at some of my favorite not to miss events that will likely be on this year’s cruise.
1. The Group Picture – This is one of the first things that happens on the cruise each year and you don’t want to miss it. (I had the wrong lens on my camera at the time but you can almost see my arm in the very bottom left)
2. The Kick Off Concert – Each time the boat leaves a port, one of the top band’s kick off on the top deck in style. Last year it was Tesla who started the cruise of right. Funny story: last year when we docked in the Bahamas we were parked next to a Princess Cruise Line/ Disney Cruise Ship. I believe it was Loudness who were the band of choice to kick out the jams during that cast off. As they did I looked over to the Disney ship to see almost all of the cruise guests holding their ears. They went from genuinely curious, to somewhat frightened in a matter of seconds. Well done Loudness.
3. The Cathouse Lives On – The Cathouse takeover on the Monsters of Rock Cruise will happen on Saturday April 18th somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. The legendary Sunset Strip staple will return for one night and host performances by Faster Pussycat, Bang Tango, and Rhino Bucket. Riki Rachman will be on board to host what will be one epic return with three amazing bands to celebrate.
4. The Meet and Greets – Don’t miss your chance to say hello to the artists as all of them will be doing meet and greets at designated times. This is a shot from a combo meet and greet of Faster Pussycat and the London Quireboys. These guys were THE BEST.
5. The Offshore Excursion – Definitely worth booking early. A great chance to get off the boat and enjoy a breathtaking view, jump in the water, and witness some exclusive acoustic performances. Mike Tramp is scheduled to perform and he was awesome last year so don’t miss this one.
6. The Late Night Shows – This is where the magic happens. You’re in the middle of the ocean on the top deck, everyone has a few cocktails in them and then the band hits the stage. Last year during the late night Faster Pussycat performance they performed House of Pain and Phil Lewis from LA Guns joined the band on stage for an EPIC rendition.
7. Charity Auctions – The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Foundation bring the rock to MORC again this year. Last year I missed out on a bid to win a legendary Quiet Riot jacket BUT I did win two Dio onesies for my 4 month old daughter. “Mom Rules” and “Unholy Diaper”. As you can see below Wendy Dio was on hand along with awesome MC Dean Schachtel assisted by the great Eddie Trunk. Along the way several guests stopped by as well as you can see Frankie Banali in the photo below. Good times for a good cause.
8. Metal Karaoke with Izzy – Izzy Presley is a legend and you never know what’s going to happen or who will show up when this guy is on stage.
9. The Weddings…..
10. Luc Carl – Probably the coolest fucking guy on the boat. He’s the author of the brilliant book the Drunk Diet, host of Sirus XM’s Hair Nation, and last year I gave him a Rock N Roll Cocktail T-shirt and I heard he actually wears it. He’s sort of a hybrid MC/ Host all around cool guy bouncing around the ship and he takes time to chat with the fans.
And now for my personal picks for the cruise:
1. Faster Pussycat – Taime Downe and company are still at the top of their game. Their newer music is a perfect evolution of their classic stuff from the 80’s and 90’s. Further more they brilliantly and seamlessly integrate both into one of the best shows on the boat. GO SEE THESE GUYS EVERY TIME THEY PLAY. They will blow your mind. Plus they had the best merch on the boat last year the simply read “I’m on a Mother Fucking Boat”.
2. John Corabi – Last year he played songs from the classic self-titled Motley Crue record and they ruled. Add in his solo material and his EPIC acoustic jams, he’s clearly a staple oft the cruise, and after you see him live you will understand why.
4. Tom Keifer – The voice of Cinderella is one of my all time favorites. His latest album The Way Live Goes is an absolutely brilliant record and I am so looking forward to seeing him sing his solo material live. In addition I am sure he’s going to include a few Cinderella classics, I hope he includes “Night Songs.”
5. Extreme – Nuno Bettencourt is one of the greatest guitar players alive so I am thrilled to see him and Gary back together. I actually met Nuno once before during SXSW and told him how big of a fan I was of his playing and he was super cool and really down to earth, but then I mentioned Saigon Kick and the conversation went the other direction. Didn’t mean to say the wrong thing there Nuno, so if you are reading this, my apologies and please let me buy you a drink. Regardless, these guys are going to be one of the best shows on the boat for sure.
And finally here are a few fun recaps from last year as well:
See you there!!!